An extensive usability study for better usability on item finding and purchasing experience
Our team focused on the search and purchase task flow of IKEA's desktop website
IKEA, a Swedish-founded multinational group that designs and sells ready-to-assemble furniture
The IKEA online shop US is an e-commerce site of the IKEA Corporation, a multi-national group that designs and sells ready-to-assemble home goods.
We uncovered obstacles that keep users from performing efficiently and smoothly the critical tasks in the ordering workflow and provided concrete recommendations to improve IKEA's online shopping experience.
Improve brand engagement across channels & increase conversion through better online purchasing experience.
Assess the overall effectiveness and user satisfaction of the ordering workflow & Identify obstacles to completing key tasks.
6 participants; 6 key tasks; One-hour testing sessions with a representative user in a lab environment; Qualitative & Quantitative data
In short, our usability testing was able to deliver the final finding into four major themes (Readability, Page Link Consistency, Delivery Fee Calculation, and Content Strategy).
- Two out of five participants had trouble with the readability of the content throughout the test.
- The feedback received was that the font sizes were too small and sections of text were dense.
- We recommend increasing the font size, considering a font that is easier to read, and breaking up larger sections of copy.
- Link descriptions were confusing for all participants in this study.
- The most notable instances were found in the reviews section and the list and shopping cart call to actions.
- We recommend consistent labelling across the system along with abiding by industry standards.
- Participants were required to calculate their delivery fees before starting the checkout process. The required step created delays in the assigned task.
- Participants were also prompted to calculate their addresses after inputting their address.
- We recommend removing the second delivery fee calculation.
- Some images from the category pages were linked to product pages while other images led participants to a search results page.
- This inconsistency created delays and confusion for some participants.
- We recommend linking these category thumbnails to a search results page.